4.27.2022 Daily Flood Minutes

President Carlsrud called the meeting to order at 4:00 PM.

Members present: President Carlsrud, Commissioner Erickson, Commissioner Bishop and Commissioner Gulmon

Others present: City Administrator Crawford, City Attorney Martineck, Finance Director Richter, and Administrative Assistant Johnson.

Rich-Pool elevation at Lake Ashtabula is 1265.62. Releases are at 4,100 cfs, inflows of 3,300 cfs so now we are releasing more than what is coming in in an effort to gain some storage. Warwick is at 1,110 cfs and holding, Cooperstown is steady at 1,930 cfs and pretty steady and Bald Hill is at 794 cfs. Valley City is at 16.26 which is about 4,400 cfs. The forecasted rain from the National Weather Service looks like it could be 1.5-2.5 inches from Friday to Sunday so we’ll keep an eye on that.  The NWS river forecast for Valley City is still 18.5 feet but is pushing out later, it is set for Tuesday now.  Bald Hill Dam we’re hopeful to gain another foot of storage by the time the weather event happens. Sunday to Monday looks like when we’d increase release to about 5,000-5,500 depending on the precipitation we get. Levees are complete and KLJ has certified them to 20.5 feet. We have personnel walking the levees becoming familiar with it so they are ready to respond if there are any issues and the city will come up with a levee watch plan too.

Gwen-Now that we have a handle on things, we are double checking everything.  Today we went over possible scenarios if anything does change and how that will flow.  Clint and Marshall’s crews will be moving to 8 hour shifts but we will still monitor 24 hours.

Clint-Moving to three 8-hour shift to allow our guys rest and family time. We had issues with a couple of sluice gates and used the contingency plans and those are now under control. Lift stations are keeping up. 

Jamie Smith-County has been watching all structures from Bald Hill south to the county line.  We will continue to monitor the bridges to the south and will see what happens with the rain event.

Mike-Staying off the dikes means all the dikes. The water is cold and moving fast, if you go in it will be a struggle to get you out in time.

Dave-Great job to everybody, now it’s just monitoring and seeing what happens with the weather.


Meeting was adjourned at 4:15 PM.

Posted in Announcements, City Commission and tagged , .